Archive for the ‘pro-choice’ Category
Two amazing conferences are coming up that will have some excellent speakers AND are affordable. I’ll be live blogging hopefully from both and of them and also will hopefully see you there!
The first is the Feminism and Climate Change conference at Barnard College in NYC on February 27th. One of my favorite environmental leaders, Majora Carter, will be giving the keynote address. For Barnard students, the conference is free but for everyone else the suggested price is $50.
The second is the annual Reproductive Justice Conference from April 9-11 at Hampshire College. It will be my first time attending, but friends of mine that have gone in the past say it’s an unbelievable experience.
Since I’m all the way in India and can’t celebrate Halloween, I thought I would pass on some costume suggestions from Planned Parenthood of NYC Blog:
From Megan Carpentier, Editor, News & Politics at Air America Media:
- Dress normally. Since STDs often can’t be distinguished with the naked eye, it’ll be up to you to tell people what you are.
- Dress in pink and carry a pink hula hoop all night: you’re a NuvaRing!
- Dress all in copper and put copper pipe cleaners on your head: you’re an IUD!
From the writers at Slate’s Double X blog:
- Draw a calendar on your shirt and carry a bongo drum: You’re the Rhythm Method!
- Drape ivy over your shoulders and paint a big “F” on your shirt: You’re IVF.
- Dress like a baby and attach test tubes to yourself (or drink from them): You’re a Test Tube baby!
- Wear all your winter gear and curl into the fetal position whenever possible: You’re a frozen embryo.
From the pro-choice comic Katie Halper:
- Wear galoshes and carry an oar: You’re roe v wade
- Walk around with a bunch of babies: You’re “abstinence only” sex education
- Wear a Trojan helmet and a clear raincoat: you’re a Trojan condom. Alternative: wear a raincoat and put on a name tag that says “birthplace: Troy”
And a few ideas from the PPNYC staff:
- Wear all black, but then spell out the word “Damn” on your chest with bright green dental floss: You’re a Dental Dam!
- Dress in pink and don a knit cap: You’re a cervical cap!
- Wear all black and attach small pink erasers to your outfit – you’re a rubber!